Visit our other forums: Orchid Forum Gardening Forums Bonsai Forum Citrus Forum Fat Cat Forum Appraisers Forum Vegatarian Forum Disney Forum Hawaii Forum

Emails from my boyfriend's past - Relationship, Dating Forums, Advice on Love
     Relationship, Dating Forums, Advice on Love
Go Back   Relationship, Dating Forums, Advice on Love > Love & Relationships > Love Discussion

Love Discussion Ask the Love Forum a question about someone you love or someone that loves you.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
lessia

lessia is on a distinguished road
Default Emails from my boyfriend's past

Hi everyone,
I feel awful.
I'm 20 and have been seriously dating my boyfriend for 1.5 years.
2 months before we started going out he broke up with his ex who he'd been dating for a little over a year.
I love my boyfriend very much but I found an email he sent his ex (when they were still going out) It was a love letter and contained a lot of phrases I've heard him say to me.
They don't keep in contact but is it wrong that I feel upset that he's used these lines before?
I've had ex's and can honestly say that I've never felt with them what I feel now with my bf. Why do his messages to his ex sound so much like what we have? I don't like the idea of him having loved someone as he loves me. I think that if we're going to be together, he must feel something different from all the others. right?
I don't know what to do or to confront him about it.
please please help.
-Lessia
lessia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
ronn45

ronn45 is on a distinguished road

Hey lessia...

For whatever it's worth, here's my humble opinion:

You've only been with him for 2 months. Maybe he needs time to get into that 'zone'. The more things you do together, the more you will have 'special' memories, and that in itself may stir more creative things for him to say to you...

again...I'm a heartbroken mess, so maybe I'm way off base.
ronn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
lessia

lessia is on a distinguished road

no no,, he started going out with me 2 months AFTER they broke up but we've been going out for 1 year and a half since then
lessia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
ronn45

ronn45 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, Lessia...I misread it...(kind of like I do with my ex.)

Well...maybe you should talk to him abuot it. Be careful how you broach the subject though...he may have issues with you reading his email.

Best of luck!!
ronn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
aussiecoffee007
Love Guru
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

aussiecoffee007 will become famous soon enoughaussiecoffee007 will become famous soon enough

yeah why were you checking his email? has he given you a reason not to trust him? for honestys sake, i would talk to him about it but then again he will be very angry with you for looking through his old emails, especially his personal ones.

you cant help what he and his past girlfriend now, and if you feel likes hes totally re-using lines with you, if they are just lines to him, then i would ask him about it... but for the most part, i think theres only a few ways you can even tell someone the same way you feel, and he did feel tha tway, but hes with you now and thats all that matters
Old 02-11-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
lisa843
Love Machine

lisa843 is just really nicelisa843 is just really nicelisa843 is just really nicelisa843 is just really nicelisa843 is just really nice

yeah..I was gonna ask WHY/How you came about his e-mail??

I would let it go. How is your relationship..besides this??
He can't help he has loved before you. The past is the past, but sometimes people have patterns or ways of expressing themselves that they are comfortable with. It doesn't mean he still loves her. You are different women and I'm sure eventhough the words may sound the same, I'm sure he feels differently...because YOU are different, right??

I wouldn't worry about it too much...unless there are other things going on, ya know??
lisa843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
stoner
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

stoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of light

We all learn from our past mistakes, and then move on - especially when it comes to relationships.

Heck, I am guilty as charged when it comes to those. Prior to marrying my wife, I had gone out with others in the past. Every new girl I was with, I tossed away things that flopped, and had applied the successes and positive experiences from the past. Yes, that included pick-up lines and "sweet" nothings. One thing I am proud of is that I never cheated on any one of my ex-gfs - not a single one.

If I were you, I would let this go as lisa had already mentioned. You'd been together for 2 years, and he hasn't been in contact with her - as per your post. His relationship with this girl - whatever that may be - was so yesterday. Some things are better left in the past, and this "thing" that he had with his ex is one of them.

You're with him now. Focus on the good times you have with him in the here and now, and may you have memorable moments to come that's worth cherishing. Good luck.

"I believe there's a ghost of a chance. We Can find someone to love, and make it last..."
[Peart/Lee/Lifeson] [from Ghost Of A Chance by Rush]
stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
**Sapphire**
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future

Welcome to ATLF, glad that you joined us here.

I have to agree with all the parts that the other members have given to you. He has a past & as such he would have an ex girlfriend, he may have felt what he told her at 1 time, but for whatever reason it didn't work out as she is his EX & he is with you now for over a year as well.

I would concentrate on your relationship with him & know that he loves you.