Visit our other forums: Orchid Forum Gardening Forums Bonsai Forum Citrus Forum Fat Cat Forum Appraisers Forum Vegatarian Forum Disney Forum Hawaii Forum

my speech if i were valedictorian--its a speech on the purpose of education - Relationship, Dating Forums, Advice on Love
     Relationship, Dating Forums, Advice on Love
Go Back   Relationship, Dating Forums, Advice on Love > Generally Speaking > Literature Talk > Creative Writing

Creative Writing Do you write poetry, short stories? This is the forum to post any kind of creative writings that you would like to share with us.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
aussiecoffee007
Love Guru
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

aussiecoffee007 will become famous soon enoughaussiecoffee007 will become famous soon enough
Default my speech if i were valedictorian--its a speech on the purpose of education

tell me what you guys think please...

Schooling and education constantly fight an epic battle between the how and the what—schools teach us what to think while true education is supposed to teach us how to think. In high school, the two distinctly opposite concepts are fused into a heterogenous mixture, or what to think simply tackles how to think into forced submission. I want my education to teach me how to think, to become a responsible global citizen, to access and develop all the different parts of my brain, and to give me an intellectual framework for the rest of my life. Have I really found that all here? I am afraid not.
But then how I can achieve this type of self-actualization? Perhaps it’s too late. And what do I care now? I’m out of here anyway. But if I’m not part of the solution, I’m part of the precipitate. Reform is needed.
To be honest, I am happy with the intellectual foundation I have developed here. My despair with our education system lies in the fact that I can make chemistry jokes, I can analyze the graph of the parent cubic function to perfection, I can identify the grammatical error in this or that sentence, but I have no idea what to do about our situation in Iraq. I have no idea how to effectively decrease global warming. I don’t know what to do about immigration—I don’t know where to even start. I haven’t yet been told what to think about our global community; therefore I have yet to develop an opinion.
I am not an activist because I had too much homework; I haven’t taken a trip to Mexico because I would have to make up ten tests; I do not think for myself because I have not been taught to. I don’t know how. And therein lies the paradox of education—how do schools teach how to think for yourself? Isn't that, in essence, not thinking for yourself?
I am apprehensive about my future not because I’m unsure of how I will adjust to college life or because I have no idea what to major in. I am terrified because I am entering the global community as a lost lamb. I am unprepared for the fights before me—against poverty, enslavement, disease, and war. But I know I will have to fight because of what my education has given me.
Do I know when I will fight? Do I know how I will fight? No. But as Mark Twain satirically commented, “I have never let me schooling interfere with my education.” And I make that pledge to you all now, that I will not let the what to think interfere with how I think. I intend to use my future ahead of this day to figure out how I fit in with the rest of the global citizens and how to contribute to our global society. Because I need to find out the hows of life, the paradoxes, the subtle contradictions, the seemingly nonsensical concepts that actually contain the most logic of all.
Bienvenidos al nuevo mundo.
Education has given me communication outside of English, monomial functions, 100 vocabulary words a month, and a basic understanding of scientific life. What I lack I am confident the world will teach me—how to be a responsible adult, how to make decisions conscientiously, how to take into account factors and people outside of my life, and how to think. For this is the true purpose of education.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #2
**Sapphire**
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future

That's a very good speech Aussie, very true too!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
daisychip
ATLF Sweetheart

daisychip is a jewel in the roughdaisychip is a jewel in the roughdaisychip is a jewel in the roughdaisychip is a jewel in the rough

and here i thought education was just to give me something to do....haha.
you're very bright aussie!! can you pass some of your intelligence to me please? i apparently am lacking compared to you.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
aussiecoffee007
Love Guru
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

aussiecoffee007 will become famous soon enoughaussiecoffee007 will become famous soon enough

haha thanks daisychip, im happy to provide a new perspective for ya
and sure, intelligence is up for grabs!!