Visit our other forums: Orchid Forum Gardening Forums Bonsai Forum Citrus Forum Fat Cat Forum Appraisers Forum Vegatarian Forum Disney Forum Hawaii Forum

unique and/or eclectic places to check out - Relationship, Dating Forums, Advice on Love
     Relationship, Dating Forums, Advice on Love
Go Back   Relationship, Dating Forums, Advice on Love > Generally Speaking > Off Topic Discussions

Off Topic Discussions Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
stoner
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

stoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of light
Default unique and/or eclectic places to check out

I can tell you a dozen places to go to if you're a visitor in my backyard (mainly Manhattan, Queens and Long Island). But even small / quiet / quaint / ordinary towns, villages, and cities have something unique to offer every visitor. With that in mind, post your favorite place to check out if a visitor stops by.

Include the name of the place, where it's located, what to see and expect from it. If you have a photograph, please do not hesitate to upload it to share with everyone.

"I believe there's a ghost of a chance. We Can find someone to love, and make it last..."
[Peart/Lee/Lifeson] [from Ghost Of A Chance by Rush]
stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
stoner
Photobucket

stoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of lightstoner is a glorious beacon of light

Name: The Friendly Toast'

Last weekend, my wife and I, along with my brother and sister in law had a blast in New England. The fall foliage was just beautiful, the shopping experiences were great, and my twin nephew and niece's birthday party was second to none.

After checking out of the hotel, we decided to have Saturday brunch at The Friendly Toast, located in the main drag of downtown Portsmouth. The place was definitely interesting and one of a kind.

Think of it like a diner with a high turnover rate of customers, dining in and out. It was too crowded when we got there and had to wait for about 10 minutes before we got a table. The amount of time to have your order be taken and served may be lengthy, but the food is absolutely fantastic. It's mostly homemade, and prepared using organic and environmentally friendly ingredients.

The interior decorations, props, paintings and paraphernalia reminds me of a cross between Barnum and Bailey circus, and a Lollapalooza music festival. And the staff are unique in their own way -- they're dressed up as either Woodstock hippies, or in punk outfits -- complete with tattoos, black lipstick, boots, leather, green, red purple colored hairs, nose rings, and all kinds of piercings. But don't let their outward appearances intimidate you ... they also happen to be the nicest and friendliest group of guys and gals that I've ever met. I also find it quite odd to be listening to the music of The Ramones, Pixies, Sugarcubes, Weezer (among others) through their piped-in sound system while enjoying my meal.

Overall, this place is a must see if you're ever around Portsmouth. Good food, different, yet interesting vibe, and very friendly service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Friendly Toast.jpg (158.7 KB, 3 views)

"I believe there's a ghost of a chance. We Can find someone to love, and make it last..."

Last edited by stoner; 10-18-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:22 AM   #3
**Sapphire**
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future

Very nice stoner! I will have to think on it & get back to this thread, there are a few places that I would post, but I want to get more information to post here for you all.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
**Sapphire**
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future**Sapphire** has a brilliant future

(I've gone to this restaurant & it's very good eating at a nice price. I like the decorations around the restaurant of Humphrey Bogart. The 1 good picture I found of the restaurant, I can't post it for you all, darn.)

Name: Bogart's Charhouse

Formerly affiliated with the Homewood restaurant of the same name, this popular mid-priced steakhouse is often packed. Hefty steaks come with salad, potato and other goodies, and Bogey beckons from corny but cute murals. Shades of Boggie abound in this suburban eatery! Lots of memorabilia make the upbeat dining spot a nostalgic place. Like Humphrey Bogart's acting legacy, everything here is larger than life. Appetizers like the blooming onion are perfect starters. Then feast on gargantuan steaks, complete with large baked potatoes, soup or salad, and vegetables. Carnivores will love this place. Chicken and fish entrees are also available. Service is friendly. Big portions for small prices: lunch under $10, dinner under $20.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
stoner
Photobucket

Name: Old Westbury Gardens

All I can say about this place is wow, and I never expected that such a place exist right in my own backyard. Imagine being surrounded by the aggravating traffic jams, along with hustle and bustle of life in the big city. However, just a few minutes drive to this place, suddenly you're placed in a completely different world. One that is quiet, serene and filled with the beauty that mother nature (tamed by human activity ) can deliver.

Entering through the main gate, you're greeted by a long straight passageway surrounded by tall pine trees acting like an arch on both sides. Once you reach the end, you'll be directed by the attendant on where to park your vehicle. Perhaps, in the past, I could picture horse-drawn carriages treading through the passage. But in the here and now, the carriages had been replaced by cars.

The center of the gardens is a mansion that was built around the early 20th century. The building is now a museum and the place is just astonishingly beautiful. There are guided tours available which would take about 45 minutes, but you can also be able to do it yourself and see the various rooms and quarters of the mansion, complete with on-period furnitures, fixtures, paintings, etc. in half the time.

Outside of the mansion is the large botanical garden surrounding it. There you can take a leisurely walk through the trail or start enjoying the scenery of formal gardens, landscaped grounds, woodlands, ponds and lakes, and even a pet (dog) cemetery. Unfortunately, the pools and ponds are for your eyes only.

Since discovering it, I've been visiting regularly ever since. Sometimes, I would take my guitar along, sit on a bench and just let the afternoon go by. What a great combination or music and nature ... sometimes, I even think that the winds play an array of tones that compliments with my limited playing ability, while the birds, crickets, cicadas and other nature's creatures sing along in the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Westbury Mansion.jpg (38.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: gif rose garden.gif (10.9 KB, 1 views)